View Single Post
Old 06-25-22, 09:12 PM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Technically, it's not hard to create any amount of mayham one wants in the Game.
A few edits here and there on some files and a few animations?

Bob's your Uncle!

An example of a simple start.

And Aktung? Any issues with that image? You need to ask Neal as it's from Wolves of the Kaiser thread.

To add to the info? There is a 'Body' that gets blown off ships in Stock SH3. Check the Zone file and follow it to the particials.dat.
Yech! My most infamous screenshot for Wolves of the Kaiser. I honestly did not like conducting that modding test.
It was disgusting, not kidding, and there's no way I could do that in real life.

Daniel Prates, I intend to add destructible human figures for my World War I mod - mostly sailors, but a few
specialty models like soldiers, refugees, and hospital ship staff. There will be two categories:

-Figures attached to military ships (fair game if they are soldiers and sailors) - no renown penalty and
attached to the parent unit

-Figures as survivor units, spawned randomly, to represent people who have abandoned ship
(may never be targeted under international law).

Yes, you will be able to kill "unit" survivors but they will have a renown penalty worth maybe -5000 points.
Although Imperial Germany did not have 100% clean hands during WWI, there is documented evidence of reprimand
by the Kaiser for a captain (Rudi Schneider IIRC) who killed civilian passengers. Even though there was no deliberate
shooting (they were killed incidentally by drowning).

Once I release figures for WW2 I will also provide a renown penalty. Not 100% historical, because of course Hitler
would not have minded his submarines killing survivors. However, I personally want there to be punishment for
in-game misbehavior.

U-Boat men were often disturbed by even incidental killing that comes with war....and felt sympathy for survivors.
Uboat.net has dozens of stories of survivors being helped.

In fact, on U-852 (the only boat confirmed to have committed atrocities in WWII) Captain Eck admitted his crew
was demoralized profoundly after his crime; after being captured they testified against him and helped Britain's
legal case:

https://uboat.net/men/commanders/232.html

I doubt Donitz or his staff would look kindly on atrocities that wasted ammunition and just helped the Allied war effort
by providing negative propaganda.

Furthermore, Donitz was acquitted after the war of any systematic attempt to kill survivors.
The "Laconia Order" not to help survivors in no way meant there was an affirmative expectation to kill them. Donitz's main
failings were (1) supporting a genocidal regime through the U-Boat effort and (2) profiting from Jewish/POW slave
labor in construction + logistics.

Amongst the Allies (like the Axis), unrestricted submarine warfare was the norm - as you may know - though it was technically illegal ....
US+UK subs mainly captured survivors for intelligence purposes and made no attempt to stick to the pre WWI "Cruiser Rules" (where all
passengers & crew always had to be put in a safe place before a ship was sunk). In theory, each major WWII submarine campaign was illegal
because interwar politicians never abolished Cruiser Warfare's code of conduct ...... in practice, no one could stomach prosecuting German
submariners at Nuremberg for tactics that all submarines had used. By 1945 there was a tacit admission that "Cruiser Rule Warfare" was
impossible given submarines' small size, the threat of aircraft, &c. ... Also note the "Buyo Maru" massacre with USS Wahoo/Mush Morton,
and HMS Torbay murdering German survivors more than once. Flagrant violation of the Cruiser Rules by the winning side.

In short, International Law and public opinion during WWI and WWII generally distinguished between incidental deaths during unrestricted warfare
- like drownings or getting killed by torpedo blast (illegal but tolerated) - and systematically hunting survivors down after the main objective
of sinking a ship was accomplished (usually not tolerated). Hopefully, my mod captures this distinction.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 06-28-22 at 07:23 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote