Old 10-22-21, 04:43 PM   #45
RetroGamer
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
Great insights and memories RG! Thanks.

Here is another great and revealing piece by Ssnake from SB1 manual on how is difficult to convey and simulate real "tanking" on PC :
I do remember reading that as well. It’s very accurate. I think my experience would’ve been more enjoyable if my platoon and battalion as a whole had lived and trained together a little longer. Everything was rush, rush, rush….no sleep, constant field training.

I really did not know WTF I was doing at first which was horrifying. In retrospect, I should’ve gotten the whole platoon together and started troubleshooting the radios and intercoms. The same care we take of our desktop PCs nowadays should’ve been done on our electronic commo equipment back then. The stuff was always broken which infuriated me. I didn’t know enough about it at the time, unfortunately. Contact cleaner, reinforcing cables with heat shrink tubing or tape, maybe….anything to make that stuff more durable. A CVC helmet for example, had little tiny wires - like something from cheap Walmart headphones, connected to the mic. They were always broken or about to break. We should’ve re-wired and rebuilt all that stuff because commo is the key to coordination. I’m sure all the Army’s stuff is different now,

A gunner in a Bradley or Tank, or LAV could actually have some job satisfaction if everything works right. We did get very proficient right at the end. My Bradley crew and I ended up with an almost perfect score on one of those range qualifications. The tracking of moving targets and fire commands in M1TP2 is very accurate.

I also pulled the trigger on another Voodoo2 3Dfx card. It may or may not work in SLI mode with my existing card. I’ll find out. If it does, I’ll make some M1TP2 Fraps recordings of gameplay in SLI. If it just doesn’t work, oh well - I’ve taken it as far as I can.

The only way my 1999 era computer can communicate with the outside world is via CDs. I’m not sure it’s even capable of burning CDs, only reading them. I don’t think a USB thumb drive would work, either.

I may just end up putting the iPhone in front of the screen because I don’t know how I’d get the movie files off the thing and onto my laptop.

I’ll keep you posted.

Last edited by RetroGamer; 10-22-21 at 04:54 PM.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote