View Single Post
Old 04-07-17, 02:55 PM   #32
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
That is not ironic. Environmental everday noises can drown it to some degree. If you googled and read for the matter you will see that many people hear it louder at night than during the day - at night, when the noise of the outside world is at a low.

If it is "electromagnetic hearing", then indeed the brain is "making the noise", in erratic interpretation of the as erratic electrical stimulation of the nerves or affected brain lobes. But generally speaking, one of the biggest differences between tinnitus and the hum is that tinnitus patients locate the subjective origin of the noise they hear as being as something inside their head or ear (in German, the public calls Tinnitus often "the little man in the ear"), where as the hum is described by the vast majority of people to be originating from a source located outside their body, from the environment. Often it is said it sounds like putting your head under water and then hearing a humming sound from from above the water surface - the sound then is outside yourself, but seems to come from everywhere.

Another description often used is "like the propeller of a very high flying drone". People do not want to say by this they b eloieve ther eis a flying drone overhead, they just mean the sound reminds them of this association, like they also compare to distant Diesels or heavy construction machines vibrating through the ground or through some walls, from long distance away (just that there are no Diesels or machines).

Could you use the Hertz videos by Sony at youtube to limit the range of how the sound is for you? As I said, for me it is exactly 100Hz. And it lasts for hours and hours, the first weeks at night, but since a few days mainly at day.
I do suffer from Tinnitus, however this is not what I would call the hum. My tinnitus is like a whooshing noise sometimes accompanied with a ringing. The hum I hear is definately not within my head, it is neither of the sounds I have described. I live in a comparatively quiet area. No heavy vehicles, machinery or such. I cannot explain this, and do not proffess to even understand it. This has been an ongoing thing as I said for some years. I will look into your youtube examples, not sure if my range will be good tho. Occupational partial deafness I'm afraid.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote