View Single Post
Old 09-29-09, 02:15 AM   #99
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
he player should be able to position his sub in front of most merchants to trigger the collision avoidance "stop/reverse" routine.
LOL just the opposite of the real life praxis ... else the Kaleun wanted to give the merchant fellow a good ramming chance but anyway better than anything I just hope the merchant AI is not also programmed to ram submarines

Quote:
I will also tweak vessel acceleration values so that a merchant can't flee like a sports car once it has stopped its engines - hence there should be plenty of time to take care of business.
That's a much needed tweak in any case. I have heard reports of this causing problems with convoys -when they need to turn, but hopefully with the much smaller WW1 ones it shouldn't be that bad.

The main problem is that so far all SH series (SH1 I'm not sure however) have insisted in making the convoys turn in a completely unnatural way. They pretend the ships to the sides to suddenly speed up hugely and make the long way around a semi-circle to keep their position any time. However, the logical way to do a turn with a formation of miscellaneous merchant ships IMHO is in to turn unsimultaneously X degrees (Not much more than 45) and then the sides slowly speed up to regain the original position and spacing. In real life convoys, the outmost columns were not occupied by the fastest ships, but simply by the less valuable ones, which normally weren't also the fastest.