View Single Post
Old 08-20-15, 06:31 PM   #2473
RoflCopter4
Seaman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I've also experienced the same issue few times after some fast cowboy convoy attacks with a extended use of 32/64 TC .

The issue is very rare which is both good and bad (hard to catch)...

So please, describe me in more details your convoy engagement after which "Save game failed" bug kicked in...

I'm particularly interested in ship kills during your convoy attack.

So far I can only confirm that sometimes when enemy freighter is destroyed the game will fail to create red destroyed mark together with common WEPS message in message area but in the same time your ship score in captain log will be increased. When this happen the game saving function will most likely become corrupted...This will mostly happen with imported DAT ships and possible cause may be TC during certain crucial moments...
Basically, what happened was that I happened across a task force of, I believe, the HMS Queen Elizabeth and her destroyer screen. I decided to sneak in during the night and sink her because why not. I got within 2.5km, fired a spread of 4 torpedos and then promptly turned tail and ran as fast as I could the other direction.

2 struck her around the turrets and she exploded, which seemed to annoy the destroyer screen somewhat, and they spread out to find me. I couldn't outrun them so I decided to crash dive and wait them out. The problem with this was the fact that if I stayed above 100m they would invariably find me and circle above me indefinitely, doing no damage but never giving up no matter how long I left the simulation running. If I went below 100m they would immediately give up, however I would be sinking uncontrollably unless I blew ballast to get above 100m again (this happens every time I go below that depth no matter what and is very, very annoying).

If I did go below that depth and lose them I would thereafter not be able to save the game at all. Out of curiosity, since there seemed no other solution, I cheated and edited the save file to place me several dozen miles away from the location I was in after sinking the battleship, and doing this caused the screen to forget about me instantly. When I got closer to them I saw that the destroyed ship had been replaced magically by the HMS Barham. The only other way to get out of this situation was to simply not have attacked the ship at all.

I don't always get the save failed problem, but I do always seem to sink uncontrollably below 100m, which really makes escaping destroyers essentially impossible. I don't know why it's doing this.

EDIT: I just tested it again and this time I safely got to 103m and managed to maintain that depth, although for some reason the sub refused to go below that despite being ordered to do so. I safely returned to the surface. It seems that even the slightest damage to the boat is what makes it invariably sink when below 100m. Doesn't seem entirely realistic to me.

Last edited by RoflCopter4; 08-20-15 at 07:01 PM.
RoflCopter4 is offline   Reply With Quote