View Single Post
Old 02-20-23, 03:58 AM   #17
BrendaEM
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Engine/Electrics Wonderfully Detailed in Functionality

The tutorials are good. I might make flowcharts for the procedures, until I get some practice.

In the tutorials, are 6 of the 8 large ceiling hull-valves working, and two just modeled? Perhaps I just lost count.

There's a bit of overlap between the Propulsion and the Mechanical and Electric, but perhaps that's not a bad thing.

The handle idea, was a good way of...handing the valve status, as you can't feel of it's closed : )

I think I am more intimidated by the electrics than the diesels. I will be watching the videos quite a few times.

For new players, if you don't have it, it might be beneficial to have a period-looking, simulated notebook for with procedures on it. This will reassure new players. The Forest's Survival Manual did have an instruction aspect as well its main purpose to launch item/structure builds. Perhaps the manual could have coffee stains, or have odd remarks. Perhaps it was a gift from an older sailor, passed down to you. While not being too wordy(as this), perhaps it could be written in a way that for instance, states that the Captain has been pressuring me to make the boat be run more efficiently, and this is what is working best.

[The tutorials are the first time I saw the boat in a while. It's looking really good. Even though I have been following the progress reports, I was still amazed. I emailed a friend about it, too.

The dynamic lighting for the cylinder-valves, as well as the port/starboard lights gives a nice effect.

To nitpick, I feel that some of the boat textures/shaders still has a little more patina/texture than an active U-boat would have. Perhaps, at one time, the interior of the boat probably wasn't that detailed, and you might have needed a lot of fullers-earth to sell it, but now, you have so much great geometry to sell the interior. That stated, I don't think you are far off, but perhaps just a notch back, would still let the interior look well-used.

I just saw pics of U-505, and the the ceiling paint also is a bit ivory colored, as specified in Germany's U-Boat painting manual. Also the gray has just a touch of blue in it. I did a RAL color thread elsewhere here, and mocked up some textures, which could be adjusted.]

Looking forward to a beta release!

Last edited by BrendaEM; 02-20-23 at 01:34 PM.
BrendaEM is offline   Reply With Quote