View Single Post
Old 08-20-12, 11:28 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I don't even know how to read the poll! It makes no sense whatever. "What do we think should happen?" Then a list of nonsensical option. I can't answer this poll at all.

I like SH4 a lot. It fixed the save game issue with SH3 that kept me from playing it in career mode. I feel much better playing as the Americans than I do playing as the Germans in a simulator that had zero credibility. After all, the indispensible aspect of the German submarine war was the wolfpack and in SH3 you are the only U-Boat in the universe. U-Boats without wolfpacks is as realistic as American submarines in the Mojave desert.

I also liked the aspect that very little is known publically about the American submarine war, while the U-Boat war has been utterly sainted and deified as if it were some kind of great noble cause. So both sides have been utterly distorted, one by mere omission and the other by hagiography.

I love the atmosphere in SH3, much superior to the bright colors and high contrast SH4 world. I don't care at all that the SH4 world is actually more realistic, the SH3 world just feels authentic.

But it comes down to the fact that I learned a lot from SH4 and comparitively less playing SH3. Its omission of the central unifying fact of the U-Boat war was just too glaring for the rest of the game to stand on its own. With SH4 you are on your own just as American boats were fought.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote