View Single Post
Old 02-07-13, 10:43 PM   #188
Wigabee
Bosun

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I really enjoy seeing all of these great pictures and I'm sure I'm not the only one! Sorry that I've been busy for a while but I have some good news. I recently got back from Bremerton, Washington where I got to tour the USS Turner Joy DD-951 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Turner_Joy ) and see five aircraft carriers in port! Not every day that happens. I have a ton of pictures but I'll share the ones that really stand out for now. Sorry if they aren't premium quality.

Here you can see the tops of three carriers. I couldn't get close to the other two because one is being repaired for active duty. From closest to furthest the carriers are Independence, Kitty Hawk, Constellation, Ranger and Ronald Reagan is in dry-dock getting ready to ship back out. You can see them all on Google maps in Bremerton Harbor along with a ton of old nuclear subs.

Now for the Turner Joy. I have about one-hundred pictures but for now I'll show some of the best in my opinion. I can post more if you want. Over 90% of the ship was accessible. This first picture is a device that could be dropped off the back to fool homing torpedoes.

This is from inside the gunner's position on the aft most 5 inch mark 54 gun.

This is the surface search radar console, which I thought was pretty cool.

Sorry that the torpedo tube pictures are out of order, I was having some technical difficulties. I think I will post more pictures soon if you enjoy these. This ship is a great opportunity to see if you get the chance. Nice pictures everyone!