Old 08-05-17, 04:29 AM   #7
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default It can be done!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Yep been tried. That only has to do with how much damage is dealt to what you hit, no blast radius. DCs have blast radius but right now its not possible to get them to drop properly from a missile (thinking SUBROC) because the DC works off of launch values (detonation depth) that must be set by the launching platform (in this case some kind of aircraft like a Bear or even a Ka-25) which the missile is incapable of doing. Other than that, you could probably come up with some type of contact only charge but, you're looking and needle-in-haystack odds of actually hitting anything.

All that said, right now I believe it would be possible to make a Soviet equivalent to a Lulu nuclear depth charge but, I don't see what this would add to the game at this point as you'd just end up getting fried with little or no warning.
Quote:
no blast radius. DCs have blast radius but right now its not possible to get them to drop properly from a missile (thinking SUBROC) because the DC works off of launch values (detonation depth) that must be set by the launching platform ....
But the DC's do...That suggests that there IS such a beast. If you have a special DataPoint for a single type of specific object, then that is bad software design, because you try and have the same number of properties within types for each object in that type, so to me there should be a Blast Radius Datapoint for every object within type WEAPONS. Killerfish just ain't showing it. In fact in the Soviets DC in weapons.txt it's there, I believe.

Quote:

All that said, right now I believe it would be possible to make a Soviet equivalent to a Lulu nuclear depth charge but, I don't see what this would add to the game at this point as you'd just end up getting fried with little or no warning.
Check out some of the YouTube vids, particularly the USN training films on the ASROC back in the 60's. The minimum "safe distance" was 3500 yards, with a max of 10000.

Operation WigWam back in the mid-50's used 10 KT at 2000 ft and found that even as close as 4000 yards submerged objects could survive.

Your looking for "area kills" with these puppies, not vaporization.

And since tactical Nukes weren't withdrawn from USN units until some time later in history then the era of CW, perhaps they SHOULD be in the game, particularly in the '68 campaign. Remember that using Nukes is not only a military decision, but a political one as well. And small ones, used only far out to sea, where they might not be noticed, makes the authorization of their use by politicos awfully tempting to those same.

Quote:

I believe it would be possible to make a Soviet equivalent to a Lulu nuclear depth charge.

To quote a character from one of my all-time favorite movie.....

"Mr. President, We must not allow a Mineshaft Gap!"

origl_main_raptor2 is offline   Reply With Quote