View Single Post
Old 03-02-10, 05:26 PM   #5
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

There was a scene in the 2002 movie, "The Sum Of All Fears" in which several low-flying Russian Tu-22M Backfire bombers attacked the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) en masse. Most of the missiles fired from the bombers were destroyed by the carrier strike group's anti-missile defenses, but a few managed to make it through and thus caused significant damage to the ship. Then again, it was only a movie.

Again, it is most likely very difficult to "sink" a carrier due to the principles of buoyancy resulting from the design of most aircraft carriers themselves. Not to mention an aircraft carrier's defensive weapon systems and sensors carried on board and those of the ships surrounding her.

It is very, very difficult to attack a carrier strike group with air and/or surface forces, due to the fact that the carrier herself has several weapon systems, sensors, radar, sonar, etc. Not to mention the fact of the several other ships in the carrier strike group with the same aforementioned properties. The most feasable way to attack or sink an aircraft carrier, (and I use the word "sink" very lightly), is via sub-surface forces. If I recall correctly, carrier strike groups also travel with a few fast attack submarines for protection against enemy submarines.

The only other feasable way that I can think of to sink an aircraft carrier and/or its entire carrier strike group, is via a nuclear weapon, in the tactical, low yield range.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 07-02-10 at 11:26 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote