View Single Post
Old 08-11-23, 04:51 PM   #28
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0

Hi, I’m not surprised your confused I am too. The terminology over laps a-lot. Destroyers were constantly switching-out new technologies. Modifications and tech improvements were continually made in the shipyard and in the field too. It's very hard to pin down specific equipment for a given model but some generalities are possible.

The Mark 37 fire-control director controlled the 5in battery and was introduced with the Sims model . The Mk. 37 could be aimed manually or using radar. The Mark 1 was the computer component of the Mark 37, and was electrically linked to the Mark 37. Mark 37 mounted on top of the bridge and Mark 1 was kept inside somewhere because of it's value and vulnerability.

Radar became integral part of fire-control systems Destroyers carried the SC (“ looks like a bed-spring” on top mast), and just below the newer SG radar( convex shaped) In addition to the SC and SG radars, destroyers carried Mark 4 fire-control radar that was the first dual purpose able to engage surface and air targets. Usually the Mark 4 radar was mounted on top of the Mark 37 housing.
I'm no expert but hope this helps.

In the DC sim, radar directed batteries can be used when radar becomes available in certain models and can be toggled with manual control.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Vox165; 08-14-23 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Corrected Pic
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote