Thread: [WIP] "Lochinvar" Clyde puffer
View Single Post
Old 12-15-20, 09:08 AM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi Rosomaha,

thank you for your feedback and glad to se you too. Your torpedo boat looks amazing, I hope her release date is not too far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
I think you absolutely should not bother about this little thing-a chain in 3D execution. (You can make a solid long object with a simple cross-section, and make details-chain links using a texture).
That is one of the options I am considering for chain's horizontal sections which, after all, could be seen only from the top. Originally I had tried using a "bill-board" mesh also for the vertical part of that chain, but it is visible from many directions and even from a certain distance the result was quite poor.

The other option I will be considering, is assembling the whole chain as dat object, where the same 3D mesh can be used many times with negligible increase in file size and no increase in poly count

Quote:
Do you need it made entirely in 3D, the beauty of which can be seen and appreciated only in the exported model in a 3D editor or viewer?
Well, at some point I might decide uploading my models on Sketchfab or similar website. For this reason and for my own pleasure, my models tend to be slightly more detailed than our game would require.

Once they are finished, cutting down unnecessary detail before game import is a relatively easy process.

Quote:
In addition, you can use such details as: a slightly convex door and the contours of the eluminators – you can simply bake them into a high-quality Normal map and Diffuse and remove the 3D details.
Yes, good point. Take those 3D doors as "place holders". The will help me drawing the doors in the correct position within the texture and to bake a better AO map, but they are likely to be removed before import in game

Quote:
For such small units, if they do not break into pieces (hull) - no. Getting a ship's torpedo into such a unit is almost impossible, even if someone wants to spend valuable torpedoes on it...
I do not plan making the hull of such a small boat to break apart, but some sub-parts like mast, cargo hold cover, lifeboat, vent cowls, funnel and maybe portions of the wheelhouse might be destroyable. My only concern about 3D damage decals, is them not to reveal... an emptiness made of air or water where there should be metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
You can do it (GrannyDamageDecals controller that is responsible for 3D holes has an option to assign interior mesh that will be visible through holes), though I don't recall any ship - modded or stock - using this possibility (as well as second option to set the hole shape that shells will tear in a hull - all ships have this field blank and use default holes).
Wow, I dind't remember that that controller had so many options. During recent gunnery trials I remember having seeing torn metal through the holes made on the hull and on the superstructure of the target ship (one of the stock merchants). Probably vanilla units don't have an interior mesh specified in their GrannyDamageDecals controller because most of them already have basic interior compartments included in their 3D model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
On another note and related to earlier posts about sharing resources and plans - there seem to be several units currently in progress, perhaps (just a thought) we might use a sticky thread in SH5 Mods Workshop somewhat like this:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=97328

Such thread would contain list of WIP units currently being made and perhaps links to resources like plans or models available online in case a newcomer would like to give a try to creating a new unit. Plus, maybe some form of basic guide for importing units as the needed info is currently spread over many multi-page threads.
Good idea, but I suggest extending the scope of such a thread to game-related plans and 3D models in general, what do you think?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote