View Single Post
Old 01-28-22, 06:32 PM   #4
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Yes, that was the Gato Class USS Corvina SS-226, sunk of her first patrol south of Truk by I-176. I-176 also noteworthy for severel damaged heavy cruise Chest.

Actually, according to Japanese records was a fairly dramatic showdown on the surface, at night, sub v sub.Appears Corvina detected the I-176 and made a turn at last minute or perhaps routine turn, but was too late,

From Combinedfleet.org I-176 Tabular Record of Movement.

16 November 1943:
Cdr Roderick S. Rooney's USS CORVINA (SS-226), on her first war patrol, DRUM (SS-228) and BLACKFISH (SS-221) receive an ULTRA message about the arrival of I-176 and are sent to intercept her.

300 miles S of Truk. At 2312 (K), when heading N at 16 knots, the lookouts on partially flooded I-176 sight a dark object in northeasterly direction, 8,800 yards away, illuminated by the bright moonlight. LtCdr Yamaguchi orders to prepare for diving and turns toward the target. Four minutes later it is identified as a "PERCH-class" submarine, evidently in the process of recharging her batteries.

17 November 1943:
I-176 crash-dives, goes to silent running and by 0057 reaches the position on CORVINA's starboard quarter, distance 2,700 yards. LtCdr Yamaguchi considers the firing angle excessive and orders to battle-surface in 15 minutes.

At 0112, CORVINA suddenly turns towards I-176. Yamaguchi orders to belay the order to surface and makes a turn himself, keeping the target on his port beam. At 0120 Yamaguchi fires three torpedoes from bow tubes. Twenty-five seconds later two heavy explosions are heard and the boat is shaken considerably. CORVINA blows up and sinks with all 82 hands at 05-50N, 151-10E. [5]

At 0130, after making a periscope search, I-176 surfaces and heads for the site of attack. An oil slick and various debris are sighted. .
18 November 1943:

At 1300, I-176 arrives at Truk. Her crew receives a heroes' welcome and C-in-C, Sixth Fleet invites all officers and enlisted ranks to a banquet at his HQ."

I agree, it is element of risk not present without them. They are (as should be) rare to encounter but a risk one has to be aware of.

Will AI subs in your WW I mod fire torpedoes?
That's the plan! Although I haven't had time to model them yet. Fortunately some British boats look like the S class, so maybe I can use the S class hull to design them.

Thanks for reminding me of the US Sub! I remember reading about Corvina in a book by Edwin P. Hoyt. Sad story; he mentioned (as you did) that there were no survivors. Not that surprising ... it only took two Japanese torpedoes to sink USS Indianapolis, a big armored ship, so the impact of just one "Long Lance" on a small, unarmored target like a US submarine must have been terrible.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote