View Single Post
Old 08-16-23, 05:54 PM   #174
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I am considering to get the Quest 3 later this autumn when it gets released. Twice as fast as the 2, 30% more resolution, slimmer design, and the option to see your room on screen (in colour, it seems) and the gameworld projected in/on it.

I am still happy with my G2. But I want to get VR for my parents. Google Earth is not available for Quest 2, but maybe they bring it for the 3 since it is has so much more processing power, however with "Wanderer" you have access to the Streetview part of the Google title, and it seems to run as smooth as in Earth. I also want to allow my parents to watch nature and citytour movies on the big screen like I do, and 360° videos and such, And who knows, maybe I can turn them into Table Tennis Cracks, at mid-70s there is still time to improve, eh? LOL

The idea is that it is maybe no total failure if they cannot get along with it, turn into vomitting zombies or fall out of the window when they see its a door. Because I am interested in it, too, since players say already for the Quest 2 that some of the sports titles I dearly miss - Eleven Table Tennis and First Person Tennis topping the list, but also The Thrill of the Fight which is a fantastic shadow boxing simulator - seem to play very well on the Quest 2. The problem with the G2 is that the hand tracking is not too good, so the precision when stroking/hitting the ball is not high enough, especially in table tennis that is a killer problem. Thats why I dont play them on the G2. I also would not mind to watch a longer youtube movie not wired to my PC and sitting at the desk, but on the balcony or laying on the bed. And playing tennis must be a joy without the cables interfering with your wide arm movements (I use to really fully swing out the strike like I did in real tennis, not just whipping a shot with a short flip of my hand: its like with any sim there ever were: you get back what you put into it). So, the money wouldn't be lost if my parents dont use it, I could make good use of it myself.

Heck, I even did a few online maqtches in FPT Tennis when I still used the Rift 1. And heck, how nice that was! I was lucky to meet polite players.

So far its just my guess that maybe Google Earth will come to Quest 3, finally, since the processor doubles the power over the Quest 2. But Google has formally ended development of Google Earth already years ago, and "killed" the team, so... On the othert hand there were a few small maintenance updates, so maybe they still can opt for directing team ressoruces to it where they see a need. Having Streetview in Wander already is great, getting the rest of Earth along with it would be fantastic. Earth alone justifies to get a VR headset, its a true killer app. Connecting the Quest 3 via wire to the small laptop of my parents wich runs under Linux is no option: wrong OS, and too low calculation power.

But now you know that even a Quest 2 owener can get to enjoy Earth - he only has to connect his set to the PC via wire.

-----------------

Neal, I know you got yourself a Quest 2 recently, I would like to hear if you have anything worth to mention, any cautioning words or enthusiastic outbursts? And how does Yioutube work on it, good enough? My parents are old, but my Mom is still fit in her head, still things must be really easy in handling if its too complicated, then its all in vein. Also, is there the option to use sort of a webbrower by which you can access a TV broadcaster's public media library, for exmaple?