View Single Post
Old 04-07-10, 09:53 PM   #10
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright44 View Post
I kept thinking of The Hunt for Red October as I was reading Red Star Rogue a non-fiction book about K-129, a Golf II class Russian submarine that sank near Pearl Harbor on March 7, of '68. The sub carried three 1-megaton nuclear missiles and two nuclear tipped torpedoes. One of the on board missiles was being launched when a fail-safe system activated and somehow ignited the missile fuel causing a huge explosion sinking K-129.

The plotters planned to launch a 1-megaton bomb at Pearl Harbor and thought that China would be blamed by the US. The plotters did not know how advanced the US military was at tracking submarines so their plans would not have worked. We were just seconds away from WWIII.

Maybe some of the events in history that are revealed in Red Star Rogue gave Clancy some ideas, perhaps.

I don't claim to be a history buff but this book did help me get a better perspective on some past events in history. Like Johnson's sudden decision not to run for president and maybe the reason for how Nixon was able to get a few good things accomplished.

I was in the US Air Force as part of a SAC ICBM Minuteman targeting team. I can only guess that one of the drills we went through was not a drill.

I picked the book up on Amazon and highly recommend reading. As good as any Clancy novel, but I do have the DVD for The Hunt for Red October and admit to watching if from time to time and enjoying it.
I like it too I picked this book on the 50% discount shelves quite a few years ago. It explains why China was finally warming up to US. And if the hardline in Soviet had thought about starting and winning World War III it should have been in the late 1960s or early 1970s and winning the world supremacy was certainly going to be easier if it had succeeded in pitting China whose relationship with the Soviet was deteriorating against Soviet's arch enemy the US.