View Single Post
Old 04-06-17, 06:23 PM   #47
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Just got my system back up on the new HDDs. BUT I still need to move some partitions around, so all of my backup data is not on here yet, that backup data includes... well... everything. Steam, plus all my games installed through wine so I can't double check most of this now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Thanks Steve, I keep thinking Wine is a virtual desktop!!
I will try winecfg later, hopefully it asks for the .NET and Gecko to be installed.

Btw, I tried the WinHQ forum but is a pain since my posts have to be 'approved' before they go on, that takes 24hrs. I did get a reply to the first, I had made a typo and the responder was rather rude!!

Edit:
I ran winecfg from the terminal and it opened up a box, after I closed it I get the terminal message:
"fixme:msg:pack_message nsg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet"

It seems that Wine is only accessible with context menus on exe files only?

Anyone know what "PlayOnLinux" is like?
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html
Or is this better:
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux
I've noticed the response can sometimes be that way, I do not think that primary forum language is the native language for some of the posters there.
Leads to some rather interesting threads!

Play on Linux and CodeWeavers are, in short... "shortcuts" to setting up programs in WINE, most that you can do yourself (or using "winetricks").

Codeweavers, I believe, eventually sends some of their code to WINE, and they host winehq.org.

I would hold off on either, until you confirm what you are trying to run won't work on wine.

I've yet to use either. Just "winetricks". Winetricks is a free script to assist with the installing of several programs. I can walk you through it if you would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I deinstalled Steam launcher and then reinstalled it on Linux, to see whether it really gives me the choice, but it left me no choice ever to select the installation location, so it went onto the SSD. Within Steam I could choose where the game installation folder should be placed, but choosing the second drive, the HD, does not get accepted as a valid location, I need to chose the SSD again, only then it would work. So I have not installed any game.

The HD drive is mounted. Google seems to have instalkled some files there without me noticing it, and I have manually moved MP3 and picture archives here.

Any attempt to install a program to the HD so far has failed.
I don't have steam installed on this new hard drive yet... but, as long as you have read/write permissions, you should be able to install the "steam library" to the drive.
It will be a day before I can try this and get back to you, schedule plus needing a few hours to copy the few hundred GB worth of /home back to the new drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Not that I know much but I have 2 HDD's and I have trouble installing Linux stuff to NTSF drives, data is ok.
In addition to Skybird's attempt to install Steam itself to a new directory....
I can say this... When installing a windows game, such as SH3, SH4, Need for Speed, an RTS game, etc, you can install it anywhere you like... Assuming you have Read/Write permissions in that directory.

I've yet to NOT have RW permissions on any of my NTFS file systems. Linux assumes that you have a Windows drive, and therefore you need to have access to those drives, Since you have access to them in Windows anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
^ As I said, this is what I did. And right that does not work. No matter whether I chose the HD as a whole or just a subdirectory I created on it for Steam - it is not "valid" since not empty (while it is empty for sure, I also made sure it is set to read AND write).

And how would a different software, say any non-game, get installed on the other drive? In the case of Steam, the steam launcher nevertheless goes to the SSD, the primary HD, that is.

So far the situation for me is loike with certain Android versions and cellphones: you can move data to the external SC card manually, but it does not let you install an app o it directly.
I will have to try this, once I'm back up and running 100%.
However, usually when installing a Native Linux program, you don't really get to chose where it goes.
This reduces the possibility for coding errors because they are always looking for a file in a specific location. MOST system and user programs go under / somewhere... (it varies). But most, if not all of YOUR data and programs go in your /home directory.
Helps to avoid users deleting things they actually need!

I have seen some info on actually moving your installed Steam directories to a new location, but I'm not sure if this actually works with Ubuntu or Mint...
(again, lost my VM when things went screwy...)

I will double check. Unless RR gets back to you sooner, it will be a day, or 2 depending on how soon I get this system back up and running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to FORCE EVERYTHING in your home directory to go to the HDD... and leave the system on the SSD, then this is a possibility:

We will assume the HDD is CURRENTLY mounted at: /mnt/harddrive
And the SSD is 4 partitions mounted as "/", "/home", "/boot" and "swap".

In the directory /mnt/harddrive ("/mnt/harddrive" is where ever the HDD is mounted)
Make a directory named "<login-name>" (example: Skybird, Reece, RR, Barracuda).

Then copy ALL of your data -including hidden files- in /home/<login-name> to the HDD at /mnt/harddrive/<login-name>.

Then mount the HDD as /home.

So the Directory you made on the HDD that was originally viewed as:

/mnt/harddrive/<login-name>

After mounting the HDD as /home, "<login-name>" would be viewed as:

/home/<login-name>

with no need to every worry about the SDD (the data would remain intact, and untouched).
Using fstab to do this automatically at boot would make this a one time thing.

Rather than "symlink"-ing files, we have basically "sym-link"-ed the whole partition.
With the added advantage of keeping the original data.

Remember, there aren't any "drives" in Linux. There is just the "file system". You "mount" 'physical disk' to locations in the "file system".

You can have / on 1 drive -for example- a 250GB 10k rpm WD Raptor, then you could have the /boot on a 4GB USB jump drive (overkill on size here!), /swap could be another 250GB Raptor, and finally you could have /home on 4 1TB Raptors in Raid 0 (or raid 10 for redundancy and speed).

Any of these Directories can go on any physical drive... drives can be "mounted" in the "file system" ANYWHERE...

Another type is the LVM, LVM are "file systems" that can literally span Multiple drives... and they can grow when new drives are installed... (not sure if yours is on an LVM).
You have to think a bit "abstract" when you think about the way Linux handles the hard drives.

Let me know if you want to try putting the HDD as /home....

Back to fixing my sytem now.......
Hardware failures!

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 04-06-17 at 10:30 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote