View Single Post
Old 12-08-21, 02:11 AM   #3909
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

"Dune" 2021. A review by me

Ok, where to start? I must admit I was somewhat hesitant to see this flick.....but I'm glad I did. Wow, it lives up to the hype and then some. The only negative aspect was the sound level, it was beyond Industrial levels almost painful - earplugs definitely required ( no joke ).

A bit of a preamble....

My interest in Dune began in the early '70s, with the original books. I was heavily studying Sassanid Persian History and Art at the time. So the early Dune books with their Feudal/Imperial Desert setting, and the cover art by Bruce Pennington really clicked, as they say.

Then after the early books came "The Dune Encyclopedia" ( almost worth it's weight in gold now ), then the David Lynch movie - unfairly heavily panned by critics. I love it, it's come into it's own now.

Then came the co authored books...for a new generation. Then the mini series/s, and lastly the new "Dune" movie just released.

Both movies are very good. But the new one is outstanding.

Great casting/acting. Faithful to the storyline, Dune fans know all the ins and outs and background. Sweeping, gorgeous settings. Costumes

Not too much technology, it's post Butlerian Jihad after all. The 'thopters are beautiful

Seeing as it's only part one a lot of characters are yet to be introduced.

At almost 3 hours it's long and bladder challenging

No spoilers. If you're a Dune fan go and see it, but take ear plugs.

Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote