View Single Post
Old 05-02-21, 10:01 AM   #194
K9us
Swabbie

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCQ_SH View Post
So I upgraded my rig, and after reading everything and tested everything I could, I concluded that my laptop doesn't want to run SH4 in any resolution but 1024x768 in windowed mode. On that resolution, it works like a charm (intel grpahics, as it doesn't like my nvidia, although it doesn't need it), but now I'm out of ideas. The big question is if there is a solution for that. (I've tried the cgf files, I already checked the net framework thing, and all good, LAA, etc.) Mostly, everything was covered and I ran out of ideas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
With my 'modern' Win10 laptop, I have the Windows display settings the same as the "Native" resolution of the display monitor, and have the game set the same. I do not have a dual-card set-up like you though... but anyway, matching that, and then I right-click the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties", and then the "Compatibility" tab. Just for SnGs, I chose "Run as an administrator" (it should not be necessary), since I was there, but the thing that helped it to actually function correctly was to click on the "Change high DPI settings", and I chose "High DPI scaling Overide - Overide high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: <Application>". That did the trick for my laptop.
Had the same issue as LCQ_SH, and can more or less confirm that propbeanie's solution seem to work or at least is part of the solution. I was gonna satiate my FotRSU cravings and installed SH4+Uboat through Steam on my Win10 v2004 Build 19041. Refused to start on anything but the default 1024x768x60hz.

I naturally manually installed DirectX9 from the SH4\DirectX folder and applied the Large Address Aware.exe utility from FotRSU. I also tested various combinations of settings in the SH4.exe compatibility options, but the only one that seemed to work was the one that propbeanie mentions:

Change high DPI settings > Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application.

So now I'm currently running at least the FotRSU menu screen at 2560x1440x144hz and maximum graphics, using ONLY that particular setting above. Everything else is default/unchecked. And it makes sense that I had to change that setting, because I have both bad eye sight and high DPI monitors, so I scale them to 150%, and I have the "fix scaling for apps" set in the Windows advanced scaling settings. Probably something there that messes with the DPI which makes SH4.exe not work properly.

The next step is to figure out if anything else is needed in the compatibility settings to actually run the game and not just the menu :P
K9us is offline   Reply With Quote