View Single Post
Old 03-12-18, 10:00 PM   #5
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
Hello guys i got some sort of virus while downloading some kind of software ( cant remember). I noticed i got bunch of malware did virus scan cleaned everything but every 10 mins a firefox opens with a ad. PLease help how to fix it?

In Firefox you should be able to clear history, and in the box that pops up, select everything.

That should remove everything stored in Firefox's "cache".
(Firefox has stored data (for years) in a 'file' keeping it contained from the rest of the system.)

When I had WinXP I used "Spybot Search and Destroy" exclusively as I could set it to lock-down the registry, start-up files and Internet Explorer settings (and it could even lock YOU out of the IE settings if you told it to).

I haven't used it since I moved to Linux, but I did get a virus once (on XP) that hooked into the login file.
At that time NONE of the anti-virus/anti-malware programs could get rid of it.
Spybot's attempt came with a warning: it might destroy the user account file.
I did it anyway, didn't completely remove it, but it crippled the virus enough for me to make a new user account and then delete the old one.

Spybot found and (mostly) cleaned the PC when all the "anti-virus" programs failed to.
Spybot wasn't an Anti-virus, it was an anti-spyware/anti-malware program.
A "Security Gaurd", not a SWAT team, yet it did the job.

If it is anywhere near as good as it used to be, it might be able to at least tell you what is wrong.

These are the free versions.
Mirror list on the Spybot/Safer Networking LTD site:

For Everything but WinXP/Vista
https://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors26/

Mirrors for XP and Vista versions:
https://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors24/

Just a Note: Only the free version existed when I used Spybot on XP.
Also, there was a warning on the version I used that Anti-virus programs may detect the malware "definitions" stored in Spybot's install directory as "viruses".

Just an FYI if it shows up with your Anti-Virus program, Mine never did, but I'm unsure if it has changed.

Hopefully between all of the program suggestions here you can find and remove the problem.

Barracuda

P.S.
I also used the free version of AVG anti-virus, but only installed it when I wanted to scan, then I removed it. It was good, but at the time was getting false positives on XP system files.
So I would install, update, scan, clean, then uninstall AVG and get on with my computing. Did that about once a week until the "false positives" bug was fixed.
Spybot was the "cork in the bottle" on my system.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote