View Single Post
Old 09-20-09, 05:35 PM   #65
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

that allowing of choice and its consequences will be great as in that time with radio marconi style being so unreliable and often units at sea on their own devices. such decisoins were in the captain's hands.

iambecomelife that is wonderful that you are doing details for coasts and coast towns, that so much adds to the immersion and there are many significant coastal towns that will add to the playablitiy of this mod. I do have some old charts but they are too large to scan i am sad to say, and very old and time worn. Some i am afraid to unfold anymore. But i will look online for resources that may help. Postcards are a good source for coastal towns...

The Impaerial Yacht entering lock at Holtenau

also excellent pics of bases and ports from naval print companies:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.u...aval_bases.htm

Wilhelmshaven

Kiel

Malta Harbour

Portsmouth...

Rosyth Naval Base

btw this is from a renarlkable historic diary kept by a RN sailor James Dixon aboard the HMS Australia.

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/Extrac...sDixonsDi.html

incidentally this would work well with the German plans to lure out the Grand Fleet for attirtion attacks by U boats.

In 1916, the German plan was to lure parts of the British Grand Fleet out into the North Sea by swift surface raids on East coast towns such as Scarborough and Sunderland. Meanwhile, German submarines were stationed several miles outside the main British naval bases of Rosyth and Scapa Flow for the purpose of sinking British battleships with torpedoes as they left port to deal with the surface raids.

German submarines (U-boats) patrolled in zones off the East coast of Britain with the intention of sinking British warships as they left their ports at Scapa Flow and Rosyth.However this plan proved ineffective as the German U-boats failed to sink a single British warship. Towards the end of May 1916, Admiral Scheer, Commander of the German High Seas Fleet, decided on a further - more risky - decoy operation to lure British battleships out of port.