Old 07-20-22, 09:05 PM   #173
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
EDIT: Ok I found it. Video below shows the issue:

One of my coasters, with Mk.9L Shining Depth Charges strapped to its bridge, using emissive material modeled after control room lightbulbs (your idea ). Light disappears even before LOD switch. It's hard to see in this video but crew figures remain visible even after lights do not.
Okay, thank you for sharing this video. I think I know what's going on.
In SH5 the visibility of distant objects is proportional to the dimensions of its bounding sphere. I noticed that while working on the model of a sea stack near Helgoland; its visibility was toggled off way before the one of other nearby terrain objects, and I couldn't discover what was causing that until I increased its size. I don't know if that applies only to terrain objects (and possibly any object imported in the GR2 file of stock terrain objects) or to every non-unit object though.

Try doing this: import your lights in a stock equipment file. One of the GR2 files where depth charges, bombs, or torpedoes are stored, should fit our needs. If that doesn't make your lights visible from a longer distance, switch to any GR2 file with two (or more) meshes on the same object. Use one of the meshes for storing your lights, make the other mesh invisible, import a big object in it (a huge single-faced triangle will do), and see what's happening in game. I am pretty confident that at least one of the above methods will solve for good the issue documented in your video
gap is offline   Reply With Quote