View Single Post
Old 07-17-11, 12:07 AM   #55
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Does the Theatrical Release version still have the one scene not in any of the others - "Here it comes...'the speech'"? I still have my VHS version, which for some reason I've never figured out also has very blue water, rather than the green in every other version I've seen.
The "here it comes..." and "nice speech, eh?" are in the theatrical cut on the Blu-ray. FWIW I can see why they took both those bits out of the DC and did not put them back in the uncut version, because their effect hinges on the fact that in the original shorter cut, there IS no speech. In both longer versions, of course, der Alte does the whole spiel about having a guest on board who wants to see proper upstanding German heroes, etc. None of that is in the original cut. The scene goes like this (in English):

Der Alte: At ease!
LI: Now he'll give a speech.
Der Alte: Now men... everything okay?
Crew: Aye aye, cap'n!
Der Alte: To your stations!
LI: Some speech, huh?

It really only works as a funny little thing about setting up Werner to expect a big rousing pre-combat speech, and then there's... nothing, basically.

Also, the water under the surface was the expected "Das Boot green," at least that's how my hardware played it back.

Interesting too was that there are at least a couple of brief bits in the original version that are in the uncut version, but were not included in the director's cut. For instance the scene where the commander is on the bridge, presumably while still crossing the Bay of Biscay, talking about how that area is not safe and the Tommies have plenty of spies, etc. The whole scene as shown in the uncut version is not there - they don't show him telling the 2WO to give a false crash dive alarm - but a short bit of it is. None of it is in the DC.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote