Thread: 2023 BOSS Noms
View Single Post
Old 10-05-23, 08:36 PM   #77
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3222
Uploads: 0

fitzcarraldo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH4 + Mods
Nomination basis: Great helpful member.
Forum: SH4 Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: propbeanie
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
I finished my second patrol (S-Class), departing from Surabaya on January 26, 1942, arriving at my new base in Brisbane on July 1, 1942.

I spent five months (!!!) in this patrol. Wonder if historically some S-Class (or any other boat in the PTO) lasted that time in only a voyage.
As KM alludes, the S-Class generally did not exceed 45 days. Some did 50, but food and fuel (and lube oil and parts and rust) were the main reasons they had to come back in. The mechanical breakdowns with them were quite often. It would be nice to have that modeled, but...

Curious is- when awarded with the Asiatic Fleet medal - the text tells "three patrols", but I did only two (first Manila-Surabaya, second Surabaya-Brisbane).
That is because the programming teams did not coordinate their work. Team A working on the counting started with number "1" (One) and neglected to get the specs off the report guys of Team B, which started their counting like a computer does at "0" (Zero), hence what appears to be bad math on their parts...

I had five patrol areas assigned during 4 months, and sunk 3 merchants (one a fishing boat) and two destroyers. Also a Betty bomber was destroyed.

My main concern is the continuos assignment of new patrol objetives, lasting four months on patrol; this seems too much for a WW2 sub, more for a S-Class.
As KM said, if you use the Status Update, and there is another valid assignment within 1500km, and you have enough fuel and ammo for the mission to be assigned, then off you go on another assignment. We have lowered the distance away from, and raised the fuel and ammo requirements for the next release...

No refueling in five months, no rearm, no provisions...
The fuel "efficiency" was something we have been working on since the start of the FotRSU project. We either end up with unrealistic fuel usage, OR (horrors) exaggerated battery re-charge time, to the point of ridiculousness. Just be sure you set your Gameplay Options in the Captain's Office prior to departure, since the main menu's Gameplay Options are different. Still, doing a 60+ day patrol is rather too easy in FotRSU in that regard. We are still tinkering on it, but have not made any progress. A rebuild of the sub config (and sim) files is probably needed.

Navigating at 6-7 knots, the fuel was enough for the five months of patrol.

No more than TCx512 in all the patrol.

Full realism, except external camera.

[6 imgs above]

Now departing from Brisbane to the Coral Sea, with the same boat.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:
Comments in orange above... :salute:
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote