View Single Post
Old 11-07-23, 01:52 AM   #175
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Re: the new edition

Subsim: Kptn Lehmann:

As a very old (going on 90) Subsim participant from the first issue of SH3 thru the iterations of Wolves, may I make a few suggestions as you proceed with a highly anticipated new version of Wolves?

1. In the original SH3 as one proceeded on a patrol, a God's Eye view could show a variety of active shipping activities around the British Isles, not just the occasional appearance of a ship or small convoy near to the active sub's track which might (or might not) be within decent attack distance. (Yes, any actual sub commander would not have had this view...but the British admiralty did and so did Unterseeboot Commandant Doenitz). If such a view were available, the Subsim Kaleun could decide to move to a more high- traffic area. Now, I do not (repeat not) want to create a simplistic arcade game. But I do want to retain newbies who may explore the Subsim world.
do not want them discouraged by long, long empty periods (hours?) of nothing happening. I have experienced those with LSH3. A good program, but with long periods of nothing happening. The true periods of utterly boring hours of true Unterseeboot experience in WW2 may not translate well to the gaming world, if it wants to survive in the fast-paced world of today's gaming reality.

2. I doubt that Doenitz would be happy or satisfied with a Kaleun who returned with most of his torps unfired, for no particular reason. Would it not make sense to build in some penalty for sub commanders who return with too many (how to define that?) unfired torps just (perhaps) in order to begin a less boring or more profitable, new campaign? Now that we no longer benefit from 'points' in the program, I don't know what that penalty might be...maybe a delay in upgrade to a new model sub...dunno. But it seems reasonable.

3. Perhaps the Delete 'spot' could be larger, or a more vibrant color? My, yeah, aging eyes have trouble finding it. Maybe I am not alone.

-=Archive1=-
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote