View Single Post
Old 11-01-23, 05:11 PM   #168
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Hi Hitman, hope all is well. Fwiw, SH3 doesn't have a dynamic campaign. Not even close actually.

It's a good scripted campaign, but it's not dynamic by any means.
Hi John. I hope all is well with you.

I suspect that Hitman is referring to the .RND campaign layer that allows for a lot of uncertainty in encounters, their composition, and/or sometimes intentional lack thereof.

It is true that SH3 does not have a true 'dynamic campaign', in that the player cannot change the major outcomes of the war. It still ends with Germany's surrender.

However, it is arguably quite far from the definition of a 'linear' campaign in its truest sense as well.

The original IL-2 had a true linear campaign. Mission 1, followed by mission 2, followed by mission 3, with the same exact scripted contents in each mission.... wash, rinse, repeat etc.

Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 had a dynamic campaign that fit the truest definition in that as a German pilot, if you made the right type of decisions, Germany could win the war.

I think too that SH3 owes its longevity to the introduction of that .RND campaign layer.

GWX devs adjusted what was present there, and added over one million lines to the campaign files, as a result of what the SH3 devs allowed for by choosing to delay their release to add that .RND campaign layer.
The beginnings of that in GWX were humble.... starting with Rubini's harbor traffic mod. He, and then Bigboywooly, turned it into a Saturn V rocket and took it to the moon.
Primary historical events that you might hope to see, are always there.... but as far as the rest... it's never quite the same each time. That uncertainty... in my opinion is the gold-laden paydirt.

That make us all 'correct.'

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote