Thread: WE'RE SO DEAD!
View Single Post
Old 07-09-19, 07:31 AM   #37
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Icon12

So the earth will kill us if we destroy the ecosystem, or the sun will kill the earth someday, or a meteorite.. which reminds me of August (and i quote):
"Not if we blow up the earth first!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
[...] Did you know that true north is moving at the rate of two feet a year and that it will take about five more years to reach the true north pole?
Now that's something to worry about.
True North moving, and then reach the true North? Which is the real true north?
Why should it bother? Last thing i heard was that the magnetic pole wanders off, if it now goes back to to the geographical north pole i can keep my compass

The earth is turning around its own axis alright while wobbling around the sun, which is why we have day and night. The earth's core consists mostly of heavy iron, between the core and the outer thin crust we walk on is a more or less hot fluid rock mush, they are not fixed together, permanently. Since the core is only dragged along with the outer earth's momentum (or vice versa, like in an automatic fluid transmission) it has another rotational speed, and the speed difference generates the magnetic field like in a dynamo.

Still, the axis the core turns around is more or less parallel to the outer earth's axis, so even when the core falls behind, the magnetic field will still be there. A bit less strong, or even reversed, but the solar winds will still be deflected.. mostly.

But we are doing enough to set free enough radiation on earth anyway
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XSUAgUxuKHs (...around 2 billion becquerels a day...), Chernobyl, Sellafield, some russian subs at the bottom of the sea..
so just to quote August again ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-10-19 at 07:13 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote