View Single Post
Old 12-19-22, 09:19 PM   #2636
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Default World War I German Sub Tactics

All,

I came across this while trying to wrap my head around what has been referred to as, "Dick O'Kan's" method of firing torpedoes. As it turns out, this was the method that was used during the First World War.

Here's the link:

http://tvre.org/en/torpedo-attacks-during-wwi

There is other information in there, to include some info on torpedoes as well as tactics used by U-Boat commanders during the "Great War."

I now the torpedo data has been spoken about before - about a year or two ago - but thought I'd share the link since I would think there is no "stadimeter" in the "traditional" SH4 sense being planned for WOTK.

Because of this, it would probably be a good idea to try and get some understanding on how we're going to employ these wonderful works of art once they get off the virtual slipways.

I've been using the "lead angle" method for FOTRSU with success (so far) by calculating range using periscope marks (as long as it's not rocking too bad) and lead angle using formulae. By cross-checking on the map with the ruler or compass I've been coming fairly close. Almost to a few hundred yards.

I can offer those formulae here for the project it you think it can help, though I've gotten many them from scouring MANY different places here on SOH.

Likewise, if there's someone out there with programming skills that can incorporate them into the game somehow it would probably be something that can be used to enhance the immersion.

Just let me know if you think they're worthwhile and I'll post them.

Regards,

El Cid '97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote