Thread: Paywall bypass
View Single Post
Old 04-19-23, 10:14 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

A paywall that used for exmaple cookies or Javascripts on my systemposes to be a paywall by additionally implementing itself in a way that now violates MY RIGHTS if I obey the advertised claime dinetion (of being a paywall). Becasue such a paywall only works if I forfeit on my freedom to delete cookies or not use Javascript on my won system as I see fit. And that is why in my view this paywall, by this nature if works, is so to speak a violation, an illegal irregularity itself.

Der Tagespiegel for exmaple is like this. It has a simple paywall for some articles that easily gets avoided by archive.today.

Then there is the Neue Zürcher Zeitung, and that is a different callibre. Their paywall cannot be avoided, at least not by me and my means, nor do i put any effort into it. If they make an article unaccessible (what they sometimes do after leaving it open for the first 12-48 hours after release), then thats it. However, the method of making stuff locked up with delay is kind of baiting, as is criticised in the essay I linked to. Here is however a paywall that seems to not work by just cookies or javascripts, therefore its existence does not collide with my own rights to do with and on my computer as I want. So i have no claim of "self defence" to make, and therefore I accept things as they are and leave them alone. I was paying subscriber to them for some months, btw. But I then realised that it was not worth it for me, although I think its one of the best newspapers left in Europe.

If a newspaper is serious about locking content, it certainly has ways and knowledge to make sure it works and then it will not chose cookies or Javascript that the owner of the PC is exected to not touch although it is his property. Like Rockstar, I always have Java and Javascript turned off, and automatically delete cookies - already hand-picked for only y very few websites - every time I close the browser.

Plus I have adware and spyware blockers on duty.

The more comfortable it is to handle a PC and access all the stuff on the web easily, the more open and thus unsafe the system is.