View Single Post
Old 04-19-23, 09:19 AM   #17
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
What I meant by paywalls are not an effective security measure. Is they are simply not considered a security measure.

The biggest issue with using JavaScript is it could insert malicious code and that will directly affect your computer. What’s illegal about me preventing a source from downloading script to my PC?

Legal issues over articles arise from copywrite laws. Such as copy & pasting articles regardless if it’s free or not even if you acknowledge the source or not.
Paywalls are akin to ticket booths in the real world, you are paying to access the venue, just like a cover charge to enter a bar, a fair, or an amusement park, it doesn't become "theft" or "copyright infringement" until you DL content. I would think bypassing paywalls would fall along the lines of trespassing, right to privacy and/or "theft" of services. In the "real world" that is considered unacceptable behavior, on the internet, not so much. I'm just curious as to why.

Onkel Neal has an interesting justification, I don't know if I agree with it, but I do understand his reasoning. It could be my frustration with stupid isn't quite as high as his.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote