View Single Post
Old 07-10-15, 01:57 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Hi, SSD, and Welcome Aboard!

I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of moving your first post to our dedicated SH4 forum.

To answer your questions as best I can:

Quote:
I have been playing SH4 for awhile now and I have a couple of questions that I could not find clear cut answers (simplified for dummies) to. I'd appreciate any help.
You came to the right place. We have many members who love to help where we can. Even those of us who don't have the answers still try to help out.

Quote:
1. Is there a way to see your overall career without ending a patrol?
I'm pretty sure there is no way to do it in-game. However...

On the main directory of your PC is the 'Documents' folder (in older systems it's called 'My Documents'. Inside is a folder labeled 'SH4'. That folder contains all the records for your career and should tell you what you need to know.

Quote:
2. Can you list the mods, updates, etc. that are available, what they do, why or why not to use them and exactly how to install them?
There are several for SH4:

1. Game Fixes Only, by Webster. This fixes most of the bugs that come with the stock game, while still allowing you to play stock.

2. Real Fleet Boat, by the RFB Team. This one attempts to alter all the AI parameters to reflect historical accuracy.

3. Trigger Maru Overhauled, by Ducimus. Increases difficulty beyond historical standards, with the idea that it's easy to figure out those standards and "game the game", so to speak. TMO makes you play more like a real captain, since you don't know what the enemy is capable of .

4. Operation Monsun. This one lets you play a full-war Atlantic campaign along the lines of SH3. It's the only supermod available for those U-boat fanatics among us.

Please note that these all require SH4 1.5, or 'U-Boat Missions', as it's known. If your version is 'SH4 Gold' then you're good to go.

After that there are dozens, and maybe hundreds, of mods that change this or that little bit to tailor the game to your liking. There is no way to learn about them all without years of involvement. Fortunately there are people here who have experience with most if not all of them, and love to tell anyone who will listen about their personal favorites. And yes, I'm one of them.

Quote:
Sorry if this has been delved into before but I am even less familiar with this forum than I am with SH4. It took me forever to figure out how to even post these questions.
Don't worry about it. It's hard to have an eight-year-old game that hasn't had questions asked before. Take your time, have a look around this forum, as well as the others, and ask anything you like.

We're here to help.