View Single Post
Old 02-15-14, 01:46 PM   #279
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Today and yesterday I started working on a possible new logo for The Wolves of Steel. I have prepared three proposals so far. All of them bring the name of the mod engraved on a bolted steel plate, the way many emblems were fitted on u-boats' conning towers. The fonts selected are different varieties of the Jack-boot Helvetica, member of the family of Fraktur typefaces, often seen on Nazi poropaganda posters and also used for conning tower mottos. End of the similarities.

The first logo takes inspiration from the "teeth" originally mentioned by the mod subtitle. The steel plate brings three scars (similar to the ones commonly associated to Wolverine), supposedly originating from the said teeth. With a bit of fantasy, they can also be seen as a set of bllody waves Font used: Tannenberg Fett

I took the freedom to slightly modify the mod name for the second logo proposal; from The Wolves of Steel to The Iron Wolves. The logo brings a rounded version of the Iron Cross, and the subtitle phrase was modified accordingly to "dare to be an hero", obviously referred to the German decaration. Font used: Postdam.

possible controversies:

- the name "Iron Wolves" is shorter and (imo) more threnchant than the original "Wolves of Steel", nonetheless it has already been used in many circumastances, most notably by a Lithuanian fascist movemen and for an old submarine simulation

- I ignore if the iron cross, similar to the swastika, can be considered offensive in some countries.

The third and last logo proposal displays a periscope sight with a convoy in sight and a ship on flames. The subtitle phrase reads "the hunting has started" thus creating a connection with the title of the SH series and with the same idea of an hunting wolves. Originally I had thought of another phrase; "your scope, our hope", wich played with the ambiguity of the word "(peri-)scope" in English, but then I realized that had the Nazists won the war, our world would have been a wort place, which is exactly the opposite of "hope" Font used: Koch Fette Deutsche Schrift

What do you, Vecko and TWoS lovers, think? I am open to criticism and suggestions
gap is offline   Reply With Quote