Old 07-08-20, 07:23 PM   #1497
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: SH4 issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmetzo View Post
Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with the instalation. It went smooth. However a new problem has arisen I am afraid. Once all is said and done and I click to launch the game i get some message popups for missing files. they are a lot, the first one that pops up is " File not found: data/menu/data/black80.tga ". Another popup has to do with pages. " There is a new (not implemented) page: <PageChooseLoadSave? ! " but it mostely has to do with files not found. Like an american skin or something about tdc metric. As I said they are a lot and once I close all of them the game shuts down. any ideas?
Understand that you are having issues, even after following the advice provided by propbeanie.

Guess the most important place to start off with, would be to know some important factors, as follows:

1. What is the source you have for SH4. Is it Steam, Uplay, disk... carrier pigeon, perhaps.. sorry, My weird twisted sense of humor cropping up there, about the carrier pigeon.. Still, an important thing to know.

2. What version of SH4 do you have. Not sure about disks, on what there is available version wise, but.. BUT.. I do know that with Uplay, they offer up SH4 in Gold version, which is a complete U.S./German sub version meaning that you have access to either side, depending on how you want to play. The only downside that I have ran into is.. access to this SH4 through them, is to Me any way.. not able to be copied in it's vanilla unmodded state so as to allow for more mega modding. Others may know of the means to do so that are up to date, considering that Ubi keeps changing the rules without giving you notice of what they've done to date. Or at least that is My opinion of their actions to date.

As for Steam, their ideas on SH4 (which I have it through them, as well as Uplay, I know.. why do both, well.. it was to have more than 1 option open..) is to offer it in the original release which did NOT include skippering a Uboat, that would be tagged as version 1.4, with the updated offering by Uplay, also available through Steam, is by Steam tagged as version 1.5, which to utilize Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (hereby known by the short name: FotRSU-EN v1.1) requires that you have this if you have it from Steam. Of particular interest, I did write up a walk through, which can be found here for any that would like to see it that use Steam as their source of SH4 install:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...0&postcount=16

Note, that that walk through, is for those that get their SH4 through Steam & should be doable for handling both available versions offered up by them. I haven't tested that premise, since I only keep the later SH4 version through them to work with.

3. Where your SH4 is installed... It is considered important to NOT install it in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), as from what I understand is.. Windows 10, the UAC does NOT like to allow for changes to be made with programs installed there. That is My understanding of the reason... This is how I have it set up for the Steam access I have (It is important to note, that I have a 2 HDD set up & have Steam installed on D:\ drive, not C:\ , and have the library folder on C:\, located in a completely independent folder, well away from UAC, forever be they cursed to sail the 7 seas... ) :

C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\FotRS-Pre Pearl Harbor Enhanced

I keep the original SH4 install, mod free in a separate folder there in common, so as to be able to copy the guts of it (after having initially ran it to allow for it to be set up & good to go from there) & drop it into a new folder, set up to what flavor I want to mega mod it to, i.e. FotRSU-EN v1.1 (Minus the v1.1 part, of course, since I know that that bit will eventually change when it updates, ergo just simply tagged FotRSU-EN)

From what you mentioned on seeing error messages saying that certain things could NOT be found, it sounds like you are using version 1.4, or a mod that is NOT set up to be used by version 1.5. In which case... it is NOT going to find things it needs to run, since FotRSU-EN, is set up to be used exclusively with version 1.5, which is the version/s as mentioned above in 2. above. Of note, is certain other mods, too, also rely on correct versions of SH4 to be there, for them to work as well, as I found out. I ran into some of those same error messages you have, due to later finding out the mod was only for use with version 1.4, so.. live & learn, as they say..

It is important to know that the mod you're using besides this 1, are compatible, as this will cause a load of other issues other than the 1's you've ran into thus far. Some are only usable by version 1.4 some only with 1.5 & again, others that can be used by either version. Then there is the whole does it play well with other mods... so be sure to ensure that any you consider adding into the mix, are correct for the version of SH4 & the mega mod you decide to play with. Can't stress that enough. I know through hard learned experience.

4. MultiSH4: It is important that no matter your source of SH4, it is vital that you use this (BEFORE, as I understand it of using Large Address Aware) so as to have a separate game save location, far away from the original install of SH4, unless you're using disk format.. (In which case you just may be able to allow for a separate install, fresh 1, of course.. dunno since I don't have a copy of 1 lying about.. sadly. ) or are just going to go with this mega alone. Of course, this doesn't preclude the inevitable process of changing your mind later on & deciding to utilize other mega's, such as Fifi's Operation Monsun Enhanced or Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters (for playing as a Uboat Kaleun ) Personally, I'd strongly recommend the later version, but.. that's just My personal preference...

5. Large Address Aware/4GB patch. There are those that swear by 4GB patch, but.. to be frank, I find using Large Address Aware (hereby known of as LAA) simpler to use, just run the app, point it out where your SH4.exe (as well as SH3 & SH5, I do believe... much less any other older game, to be frank as it works for them as well.) is located, ensure to check the box for allowing it to use more than 2GB of
memory or RAM then finalize all that by clicking on save.. easy peasy...

Don't want this to become a novella... and don't want to be considered hijacking the thread... so gonna end here...

Hope that what I have said here, helps... Good hunting, Skipper.

M. M.