View Single Post
Old 01-19-24, 10:33 AM   #66
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Hi Kyle, Fubar,

Yes! I do know these CTD's very well. Unfortunately they do not always happen. I think that is due to the nature which causes these CTD's.

I had those in the following configuration:
- Clean OneAlex 1.53 install
- Enabled "Merchant ship pack 'full' for Onealex 1.53"

No other mods installed/enabled.

I started a new campaign from St.Nazaire in 1943.
It loads all the ship and when you expect the interior uboot will appear it CTDs.

I investigated these issues with the debugger and found that it crashes as there were memory issues. It was trying to manipulate data referred to by a null-pointer which means an illegal memory address.

At the moment of the crash sh3 took 3.5 Gb of memory. So you may think that there is still 500 Mb available. But sh3 dynamically allocates memory when it needs it, for example to create objects like the enviroment etc. Not sure how much. It also does pointer calculation. If the result exceed 4 Gb it will give an illegal address as well or it will overwrite whatever is there.

So where the exact limit is, is very difficult to find. There is also randomness to the game so that explains that in some situation it will crash as it is for example allocates more merory or just start fine when it needs less. This can also happen when you do a reload for example. My feeling is that it is somehow related to a date.

So my view on it is that we are balanced on a edge with the "Merchant ship pack 'full' for Onealex 1.53" pack as far as memory goes with this 32-bit application.

When I remove around 20 ships from the "Merchant ship pack 'full' for Onealex 1.53" with the above clean OneAlex 1.53 install everything ran fine again. I also did that with 20 other ships to make sure that it is not caused by a corrupted ship but that was not the case.

The moon mod is certainly not memory intensive. The hard code is very small (11 Kb). The other mods uses some tga but it has nothing to do with above CTD's.

Last edited by rik007; 01-19-24 at 11:08 AM.
rik007 is online   Reply With Quote