View Single Post
Old 12-04-20, 06:15 PM   #13512
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
In essence, that's pretty much how early traffic around British waters is set now but for now all fake neutrals will have navigational lights turned off. The Captain who is trying to smuggle goods for Britain with his lights on is not a sane person IMO... Probably something similar had happen in the real life but we have to draw the line somewhere...
Try to imagine early war-time restrictions as if they were anti-covid rules. General confusion, each country issuing a set of different and partly self-contradictory rules, and private citizens applying those rules according to their own interpretation, or ignoring them at all lol.

Some important belligerents, like the USA, didn't even have city blackouts in place when U-boats started knocking at their home door, and before the Nazi occupation most French lighthouses were still operational, sic!

Some allied shipmaster deciding to keep his navigation lights on (out of recklessness or in the hope to lure the Germans into mistaking them for friends) is the least we can imagine, especially outside British waters where the U-boat war was more intense and where he would have risked not only his ship and the life to be taken by a German submarine but, I suppose, also heavy sanctions by the British Government.

Quote:
That's actually a nice idea and interesting touch... I think it can be done...

Quote:
No, I was talking about regular French ships which are bound for British ports for example one day before French capitulation. Due to SH world map projection, they may need 10 and even more days to reach their destination. Unfortenattely, SH AI can not reverse course and get back to port... In theory, they can suddenly become "friendly" at the moment when torpedo leaves the tube which is not good (remember recent friendly kill incident, it was french ship).
I see your point and I agree with you, though I am pretty sure that any data-controlled event affecting game units, happens when the interested unit is outside rendering range...

Quote:
In my recent BoM testing I noticed large FPS drop while I was returning to La Spezia, just north of Sicily . It turned out that it was large convoy from Gibraltar to Alexandria which decided from some reason to take a shortcut trough Messina Strait?! It's strange because when I simulate campaign in the mission editor this wasn't the case. Anyway, one small axis threat zone placed in the appropriate place in common.mis file solved the problem...
That would be the longest "short-cut" in the history of navigation lol.
Brilliant fix by the way. I wasn't even aware that we had a thing like threat zones to control where a ship can go or not. Shame on me!

Quote:
Yes, they could even be seen in Kiel kanal sometimes and some axis controlled ports as well. Just like in previous French scenario, canceling or redirecting problematic traffic few days before side switching has proved as a good solution...

Quote:
Yes, One of the modders created this addon, Old Codder IIRC... He noticed some whichcraft in SH/uplay process or code (I have no idea really) which is responsible for activating campaign transfers when time comes. The savegame actually requires several reloads in order to wake up this process from some reason and this is what this addon is for, to inform the player is this process active. It not perfect but its's quite helpful when nearing campaign transfer date...
Ah, yes, now that you refreshed my memory I seem to remember such a nice program. I also remember another small program by another forum member used for making sure that the Windows process used by the game for campaign advance, has an high priority... Isn't that program used anymore?

Quote:
And for NDBs, eeeeeeh...Finally someone to ask.
Do you remember strange "report nearest radio contact" command from TDWs NewUI which never actually did anything?

I discovered that on this command...
I have just one simple remark here: BRILLIANT!

Quote:
And next time Gap, don't ask more than two questions... It took me an hour to write all this down with my creepy English!
Sorry Vecko, my bad. You know me, when I see something that I like I can't refrain from asking questions, and I like this last TWoS update very much
gap is offline   Reply With Quote