View Single Post
Old 12-20-21, 11:15 PM   #4010
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleship 61 View Post
Hey guys, great mod by the looks of things but I simply cannot make this mod work. Can it not work on Laptops or is my processor unable to process such loads of information?

My Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS with Radeon Graphics, 3000 Mhs, 8 Cores, 16 Logistical Processors
I have a 32GB RAM 64 Bit ASUS Laptop

Also, whenever I disable Volumetric Fog in the Graphics Settings it seems to break the game. Whenever I do have pretty much everything as was when installed it gives me an error about the Volumetric Fog. I decided to try disabling the Texture Quality High I'm able to get a Single Mission to work but all the internal graphics of the submarine seem to spaz out if not outright disappear, same with the hull of the submarine. Same effect with Post Process Filters disabled.
I tried my resolution size but 60 Hz instead of 240 Hz and I can get a Single Mission to work just fine but trying to get a Campaign started at first crashed the game. I enabled Vertical Sync and tried again and now shows an error [Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx] which was the same at 240 Hz without Vertical Sync. Trying to continue ultimate causes the game to freeze and repeat someone clearing their throat. I tried again this time outside of harbor and it ultimately crashed giving the same error. Is there some way to fix this or is it just my laptop? Would really love to play this mod so I hope there is a way to fix it. Cheers.

Battleship 61
Did you read the first page, before the download link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
Read Me Please
Please read the included instructions found in this first post or on the download page, as well as also found in the mod itself in the Support folder. Briefly reiterated:
1. You must have a fresh install of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 - the one with the U-Boats
2. That game must be installed in a folder that is NOT a "Program Files" folder, including if you are using Steam
3. You must have at least four (4) gig of RAM and a 64 bit Windows OS
(if you have something older and 32-bit with 4 gig of RAM, PM propbeanie who can get you going)
4. You must PROPERLY use either LAA or NTCore's 4Gig Patch, or similar on the SH4.exe file
5. You MUST empty the Save folder prior to starting the modded game
Further along in the posting is listed the information we need if you need help, such as where do you have Silent Hunter 4 installed? The default for the installer is into C:\Program Files... which will not work correctly. The game itself has to be installed outside of any "protected" folder. If you have Steam, that would mean also having Steam outside of Program Files, since the game installs under the Steam folder. If you do not move the game out of the Windows protection racket - er, folders, then Windows will rollback all portions of the mod that it thinks are dangerous to the system, which includes cfg files, of which each ship, plane, sub, and land unit in the game uses a cfg file. Imagine the result...

After that is mentioned the use of an LAA app to set the SH4.exe file to be recognized by Windows as capable of addressing more RAM. You do need to have a 64-bit OS for those applets to function correctly. If you have a 32-bit OS, you can edit the boot.ini kind of stuff, but it does cramp Windows itself a bit. Doable, but better to avoid and just use a 64-bit OS, especially with the RAM you have. Of necessity, the SH4.exe file must be write-enabled, and a lot of game installs will set it to read-only. Right-click on the file, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the context menu, and on the bottom of the "General" tab is the "Attributes" section. Clear the "Read-only" tick box and OK that.

You also must empty the Save game folder, which by default is C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4, unless you use MultiSH4 (included with the mod) to change the 3-letter name of the Save folder (recommended). The use of FotRSU without having emptied the Save folder will result in a mix of the previous mod or Stock, and FotRSU, which is usually not very pleasant. Somewhat similar results as a partial mod activation from above.

Your video stream should "match". Windows will show a "recommended" resolution for your display, and that's what it should be set to. In the game, it should recognize most Windows resolutions, but I am not certain if it can do 4k or not. If it doesn't, pick a multiple, such as 1/2 that, or 1920x1080, and a frequency that is a divisible of your 240, which would be 60, as an example. If it lists something that matches, use that. Then you will most likely have to delve into the Properties settings of the SH4.exe again, but this time on the "Compatibility" tab:

No two computers are exactly alike, and you might have to dig deep into this aspect. Let us know though, if matching that picture doesn't help at least some. Also, don't bother with the "Volumetric Fog" in the game, because it makes your deck crew "see-through", almost like apparitions, when it fogs in the game. It can get creepy just seeing two eyes with the outline of a body... yeesh! The "Sync Lock", especially with the newer cards will trash your display, and it is recommended not to do that. If you have an nVidia card, you can use some of its functionality, or use the Profile Inspector thingie, and limit the frame rate. The game is an old DirectX 9 game, and was designed to run at 30fps, and is what at least one of the game's clocks runs off of, but most players will not notice the time shift that occurs over the course of time...

Let us know how you get along!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote