View Single Post
Old 04-21-22, 09:35 AM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Default Modeling Resources

I talked to Neal about it and we'd like to start this thread where we can list sources for some of the harder-to-find modeling and hobby supplies.

In order to avoid its best if this thread is moderated such that:

-URL links must be cleared by a moderator.
-Any posts containing URL links must be held "in limbo" until the URL(s) is/are verified by a moderator to be free of SPAM or malicious code.

This will be a dumb idea if its just me posting random links. If you have either an on-line or physical source, "Mom and Pop" store, or just a good, but unconsidered, source for your go-to hobby supplies or kits- this is your thread.

In other words, PLEASE share where you find your go-to stuff. Just be aware that all posts that contain URLs will be "held up" until they are verified. Its also a good idea if you state why you use a source, instead of just posting links. A little description can go a long way. For example, where is this source located? Is it half way around the world from me or is it local to you? How was the service? Did you have to wait a long time before anyone took your order or it was shipped? This info shouldn't be considered "good or bad", it just helps the rest of us figure out if we would want to use it.

As an example to kick off this thread, here's one of my favorite secret weapons:

Prototype wire, AKA "wire wrap".

Wire wrap is a very fine-gauge coated wire. The usual size is "30 gauge" or 0.25 mm diameter. Its main use is in designing and testing I/C boards and assemblies. Yes, its great for adding LEDs to a project, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Its also available in a multitude of colors, when you can find it. The ideal insulation colors for modeling are white, black, yellow, and red. One full roll will last you for a lifetime but if you see it around, buy it.

- Ignition and engine wiring. Wire wrap is thin enough that you can accidently poke it into your finger. Its also much more accurate for 1/25th to 1/20th scale car models unless your car uses ignition wires that are as thick as your arm. Wire wrap bends nicely and holds it shape. You can easily wrap it around anything from a dowel to a sewing pin to create your own coil springs to CB radio mic cords.

-Towed arrays and mooring line. For 1/350th scale subs and ships, wire wrap is what you use to take it to the next level. Black wire is ideal for a towed array, streamed behind the boat or "faked" on the deck. White wire is great for mooring lines (modern Navy) in a pier-side diorama or coiled on the deck.

-You get the idea. There are hundreds of uses for this stuff.

-This sounds great, where can I get some? Yeah, that's a great question. I checked my link this morning, an online electrical supply store on the west coast. They no longer stock it. In the good old days, you could just wander into your local Radio Shack and buy a 100 foot roll in your choice of 10 different colors. Wire wrap isn't "unobtainium" yet, but its getting tougher to find. I did spot a small roll on Amazon this morning, so its still available. Hit up Google and try search words like "wire wrap", "prototype", and "breadboard" but be careful with breadboard, that wire is much thicker than what you're looking for.

Next post will be my standard "go to" links for modeling supplies in the USA.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote