View Single Post
Old 01-06-23, 11:49 AM   #86
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Got this in the Steam sale. This is easily one of the very best looking and most immersive VR experiences I have been into so far. No way a 2D video could do it justice.

I use a 45cm sawed-off broomstick and with my thumbs hold the controllers at their rings fixiated to it, it works very good, giving you the feel of a "solid" paddle.
What these videos usually do noit describe is how very very well the pyhsiucs REALLY work. The film makers just paddle wihtout ambition and have the paddle entering just shallow into the water, they move their lower arms unrealstically as if just shaking somebody's hands (especially when using only the controllers without a fixing help like I described). But the real marvel happens when you chunk in the paddle deep, and make realistic full swinging arm movement - then the kayak turns into a flying fish skimming the waves. Steering is done again with the paddles, but also with how you move your upper body, means: by changing the balance inside the boat you can swing the tip gently around at this or that direction, and if you need fast turns, you chunk in that paddle on one side deeeep, and can turn almost in place. Its unbelievably realistic! Add to this the enormous immersion from the photorealistic graphics (I cannot believe that my system still can run these modern progams and at maximum graphics settings...), the water'S behaviour,m currents, waves, watrer spilling over the front of the kayak, the tip diving in, your body movement letting the boat swing kleft, right, rolling gently. The art is to find your rythm, a synchronised movement that constantly adapts to the ever changing water conditions, anbd nit using just yoiur arms, but your whole upper body.

Content-wise this is little more thna jjst a tehc dmeo, you get four areas, can paddle for fun or do races for entering hioghscore lists, so this is hardly worth moe than the reuced price of 15 coins I paid, but these coins it is worth. Definitely! Its also nice gymnastics for your spine and back, your shoulders and necks, if you may have some cramps or minor pain in there.

Very very impressive! Very very immersive! I dream of this combined with a procedurally generated landscape or running it via somethign like Google Streetview for waterways.

And remember what I dsaid: ther eis no chance a 2D video can do this any justice. If you ever get the chance to try it in VR, at a friend or so, do it. And then do not "play" it - but do it like you would do in a real kayak, maybe do it while standing, or sitting on a bar stool, do not use a chair with arm rests. You want to freely swing your arms up and wide, and swing your whole body, really.