mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I knew I had both heard it in the news and read about it in some article

I found it

Quote:
Total blackout threatens Denmark
It is far from inconceivable that Europe could be hit by a total blackout this winter because there is not enough electricity. Denmark is no exception

The energy crisis is upon us.

There can no longer be any doubt about that. In western Russia, a natural gas plant is burning gigantic quantities of natural gas. Gas worth DKK 75 million is going up in smoke every day instead of being exported to Germany.

At the same time, natural gas is in short supply throughout Europe, and this is having a serious impact on consumers, who are currently paying historically high prices for gas and electricity. This is a problem - not least for Denmark, says expert Andreas Steno, an independent macroeconomist who follows developments closely.

- Just over 50% of Germany's natural gas comes from Russia. They use it to heat homes and generate electricity. If Europe does not get that natural gas, we will have a problem, because there is no substitute in the short term. Basically, we have a huge problem if Russia doesn't open up to natural gas again, because we can't build new sources of electricity that quickly," he tells Ekstra Bladet.

Blackout in Germany and Denmark?
Putin has invaded Ukraine at a time when Germany has already begun to shut down several nuclear power plants, making itself more dependent on importing natural gas from Russia.

Although the country's natural gas reserves do not look alarming, the lack of natural gas flow could become a major problem this winter, the expert estimates.

- It is not at all unlikely that we will see shorter outages on the electricity grid in Europe this winter. The power is simply going. If the gas has run out, you might have to switch off the electricity, says Andreas Steno.

- So you're talking about days of outright blackout. Does that also apply in Denmark?

- If the Germans have to switch off the power, we'll have to hope that the wind blows that day in Denmark, is the clear answer.

The whole of Europe in crisis
However, other countries appear to be facing much greater challenges.

- Italy and France look the worst. Italy is insanely dependent on natural gas to generate electricity, almost 70% of their electricity comes from natural gas, while France is having alarming problems getting their nuclear capacity back up and running after a summer of maintenance schedules and drought.

In Denmark, it is estimated that about 15% of electricity production ultimately comes from natural gas.

Silence in Denmark
However, this does not mean that the lack of natural gas will not be a problem for Denmark, the expert believes.

- We have some notion that we are not dependent on natural gas. The problem is that some days we are dependent on importing electricity from Germany, so if Germany is in trouble, Denmark is in trouble too.

So why is there not a greater political focus on this here in Denmark, do you think?

- In all other countries, it has already been communicated that people should reduce energy consumption and the authorities have provided clear plans for rationing energy if necessary. I don't know if it's because the election campaign is on and nobody dares to say it, but here at home I still need to hear some politicians taking this issue seriously.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote