View Single Post
Old 12-15-21, 11:18 PM   #24
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Working with Stevens information here:
http://www.subsim.com/ssr/tipaod4.html

One of the things that always bothered me was the lack of promotion beyond Korvettenkapitan, which occurs fairly early in the game career. Understand, a U-boat was a "small" command and small commands usually rate a more junior officer for C.O. (normally LCDR. and below). As Korvettenkapitan is equivalent to LCDR...

Still, there were Fregattenkapitans that commanded U-boats from early on. Less so for Leutnants which came later (circa '44) and were limited to relocating boats back to Germany after the allied invasion.

Here's a question: In AOD, do you get the options to have ranks of Leutnant (Ensign) and Fregattankapitan (Commander) in that game?

I ask, as the files for CAOD do list both ranks in the file shell text, but no where does the game actually offer you either of these ranks in play. This leads me to think that if they were in AOD originally, the decision was made to remove them from CAOD as these ranks were not as common as the Oberleutnant to Korvettenkapitan ranks. Or, as CAOD hit the streets just before the Christmas holidays, someone pushed to get the game out before the software engineers could work out all the bugs and include all the items. We may never know but, that could explain why there are so many bugs and why Sierra could not control the quality between products.

I'll include some snippet attachements but at the allowed file size here, they may be small to read, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (11.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (65.5 KB, 5 views)