Old 07-26-17, 06:38 PM   #32
Mob1us0ne
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destex View Post
Hi Mob1us0ne, and welcome.
No one claimed it's not possible to analyze accurate bearing to electromagnetic transmissions. However, Ground or aerial ECM systems are not relevant as the technological challenge in a submarine is different.

First, as Harpoon says, there's a single mast.
Second, that mast is small and can't contain a lot of nodes which are necessary for signal strength interpolation - the basis of bearing measurement. As much as the nodes are fewer and smaller the bearing analysis is less accurate.

Aerial systems have the luxury of size, number of nodes and different locations on a rather large body in comparison. Try to cram all that into a tiny tiny sub mast, there will be several compromises, bearing accuracy being the first casualty. Also, on aircraft the fast self movement can be used to some extent (just a theory, I don't know for sure if indeed it is), another aspect lacking in submarines.

Therefore, at least up to the 80's if not later than that, submarine ESM systems could not provide accurate enough bearing measurements that can be used for reliable passive TMA calculations.
Ok, Yeah that makes a lot sense. Like I said, I'm a zoomie not a navy guy and mind is geared to the clouds lol
Mob1us0ne is offline   Reply With Quote