View Single Post
Old 01-08-24, 04:26 AM   #1
ShotgunFeline
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default A Submarine procedure question.

Hello!

I thought I would ask here for some pointers after a disaster on Quora...Apologies if this is a bit of a block of text!

I write short stories in my free time, and after playing Cold Waters and immersing myself in movies I had the itch to write a Sub short. My main question however remains unanswered and my Google searches are in vain.

My question is, and this may diverge a bit...how realistic is the missile launch process from Crimson tide? I know the movie is pretty much loathed by people who have served on Subs for multiple reasons, but between that and K-19 I've not seen/read about subs launching missiles elsewhere. I would like to make it clear I'm not looking for knowledge on classified material, just a rough idea I can build on myself.

For anyone interested...My plan is to set this story betweem 1984-1989 on a Russian sub test firing a new missile (Nuclear weapons do not exist in this alt Earth). I've found quite a bit of material for Russian test sites, which is great! Just hoping to get some procedure guidance to help show the connectivity & professionalism between the crew as they are drilled.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this
ShotgunFeline is offline   Reply With Quote