View Single Post
Old 07-13-22, 03:23 AM   #71
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

VR is absolutely essential for flying helicopters in sims like DCS and X-Plane. That and a set of actual helicopter controls, i.e., cyclic, collective, anti-torque pedals. I wouldn't even bother if I didn't have those things.

VR is also excellent for racing and fixed wing flight simming. And space sims, by which I mean simulators that do their best to recreate real life space programs, NASA, etc.

Beyond those categories, a nice, big, curved monitor is better. I don't like having a brick strapped to my head, or having to install their software.

I have both an HTC Vive Pro and an Oculus Rift S. The difference in visual quality is not enough to justify spending the money for the Vive Pro.

The HTC software is a nightmare. The Oculus software comes from Metaquest, which you can read as, "Facebook".

More and more of my VR games are suddenly becoming playable on monitors, despite being VR-only when released. Developers have seen the handwriting on the wall and are patching their VR-only titles that are successful to work with monitors as well.

The only thing for which I find it indispensable is flying high-fidelity helicopter simulations. But you need helicopter controls, too. Trying to use your Warthog or whatever is pointless. Trying to fly computer helicopters without VR is pointless.

So unless you're adamant about flying high-fidelity helicopter sims, don't dump a lot of money into VR. I don't think that it will be around much longer. I do have use for it with my helicopters. I love it for that. And I enjoy it for fixed wing sims, racing, and space sims. But I think it's going to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Maybe when they can make a headset that's wireless and like a pair of comfortable sunglasses, and that actually features some visual clarity, it will rise from the ashes. But right now, it's an albatross.
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote