View Single Post
Old 07-24-17, 08:20 AM   #8303
Marvoch
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstanb View Post
First of all, thanks for the magnificent mod! at last I can play SHV, which was shelved for years

Question on torpedo duds: I am playing at the highest realism, I am in my second patrol... I haven't yet seen any torpedo dud issue... is this modeled in the game?
I am of course avoiding magnetic detonators, shooting at shallow settings to avoid deep runs and aiming good angles, all of these mitigate the dud issue (and was not known in 1939). Still I am seeing quite a success rate compared to SHIII or SHIV

Question #2:
In measuring speed, is there a method that doesn't require the submarine to be at "all stop"... Or are there ways to mitigate the error if I am also at speed?
So far most of my shots have been to ships running away, so stopping to get an accurate measure was not too convenient.
Instead I have tried to figure out the speed by checking the "wave" of the ships, a big wave would be around 2/3 of their max speed, no wave or little wave around 1/2.. with 2 shots (one slightly less, one slightly more) I can almost always hit, assuming of course good AoB, and short range
Question 1: The other day I shot at a target with an AoB of 91° and 800m from me with an impact piston torpedo and got a dud, although I shot it quite deep in the sea, 4.5 meters, it was calm, and the enemy draft was 7.5m, so it should not have caused problem, so yes duds are existent, even if rare if you plot you attack diligently with impact pistons.

Question 2: I usually move when I plot an attack, and simply take in consideration my route and speed and shift the marks of my sub accordingly on how much I moved in the time I decided to monitor the enemy vessel, and from that upgraded mark take the second position.
Marvoch is offline   Reply With Quote