View Single Post
Old 01-07-15, 10:10 AM   #4748
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Another patrol finished. I left Corrientes and with no patrol grid assigned, I just headed up towards Ireland. I encountered a convoy along the way and sank some ships. Three interesting things happened to me. First of all, I launched my first two-ship salvo. I fired two at the ship in front of me and two at the ship behind me. All four scored and both ships sank immediately. I also sank my first troop transport. Underwater, I heard it closing moving fast. Using the two-bearing method I plotted a likely course that passed not more than 3 km from my position. I surfaced in heavy rain for a gulp of air and to move close to the planned intercept before going under again. I plotted another two-bearing course that roughly coincided with the first and gave me the ship's speed of right around 20 knots. I plugged this info into the targeting computer and maneuvered for the shot. At 400 meters I fired scoring two hits--amidships and stern. I think the ship must have been going 21 knots. It sank for 14,595 tons. The third interesting thing is I found two tankers in convoy–one behind the other. I salvoed the first and then headed for the second hoping it would zig port. It did, and I fired a second fore salvo, but both torpedoes missed.

I won't try that again. Back in Lorient.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote