View Single Post
Old 01-07-22, 03:10 PM   #33
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I would like to apply a dazzle camo skin (like this one : http://www.usndazzle.com/Destroyer%2...gs/51%203D.jpg) directly on the vertical surfaces of each sides of the ship (front, back, starboard and port), without having all surfaces automatically re-arranged and turned. I would like to have a direct orthogonal "projection" of the side of the ship on the texture.

I don't know how to do this...

Anyone with good Wings3D skills ?

• Select the hull faces that you want to unwrap on each side, right click and select 'UV Mapping' from the drop down menu (do it with the middle mouse button if the faces are already UV mapped, so to force their re-segmentation).

• In the 'AutoUV Segmenting' window select the edges which you want to be the boundary of each UV region (they should delimit two specular side projections whose faces are nearly orthogonal to the X axis), right click and choose 'Mark for cut'.

• Switch to Orthogonal View, and press either 'x' or 'shift x' on your keyboard to align the camera with the x axis.

• Right click again, chose 'Continue' from the context menu and then 'Projection Camera'.

• If you have followed my steps, you will find yourself with two identical side projections of your hull, one for the port side and the other for the starboard side. One of the sides will be flipped though.
    • If you plan your UV map/camo scheme to be specular from left to right, select both UV regions in Oject Mode, right click and choose 'Move to' => 'Center', so that they will overlap each other perfectly.

• If you want each side to have its own skin (useful if you want to paint letters on the sides or if you want to apply an asymmetric camouflage), select the flipped UV projection in Object Mode, right click and choose 'Flip' => 'Horizontal'

That's it, but be careful not include the ship bottom (if the ship is flat-bottomed) and/or the stern in this process, otherwise their UV projections will be heavily distorted. Those areas should be segmented separately frpm the rest and you should choose another unfolding method for them

Last edited by gap; 01-07-22 at 05:28 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote