View Single Post
Old 11-23-19, 01:56 PM   #141
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The conning tower explains a ~lot~... while there is no renown payment required for the radar, there is a renown payment required for the "upgraded" conning towers. You have the pre-war conning tower, before the shears had their wrap removed, and the "cut-out" for the rear AA. Look at the pictures I posted about the same boat, but Single Mission configured for June of 1942. The shears only have the framework, and there is an AA platform. That is the improved conning tower, first "upgrade". I use that term loosely, since like a submarine "upgrade", it has to be paid for with a good patrol score and commander ranking. You cannot have a patrol that is below "Average", and especially early, and it is best if you have the first four of them in the "Good" category, which is above 800 renown. If you don't get above that, you are then not eligible for a boat or conning tower upgrade, and hence will not get the SJ radar - ever - until you get a new conning tower. See the "Of Refits.pdf" in the Support folder, which is a copy of one of Ducimus' posts from years ago. This is the reason for us putting extra objective assignments in the "Early" patrols...
Ok, I get it. I think. With few exceptions I've never scored poorly on a mission. I tend to meet the objectives and then amass tonnage. Where I made my mistake apparently was in accepting the new boats! I have NEVER been offered a refit conning tower, but I do get new boats, usually after three or four patrols. Occasionally it will only take three good ones, and the max so far as I remember has been five patrols.

I've never really tracked the renown earned from these missions and that now seems to be the key to both boats and refits. I'm currently conducting an experiment: I reloaded the saved patrol that started just before I was offered the Gato boat. If I do as well as the time before, I hope to be offered the Gato again. This time I'm going to turn it down and see if it will offer me a refit for the conning tower. It does seem strange though that they didn't make it an either/or choice, doesn't it?

I'll let you know.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote