View Single Post
Old 11-30-08, 01:03 PM   #188
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
but our submarine crews were out blowing the living hell out of everything that had a hull and flew a meatball...they were using outdated doctrinethat called for attacks on taskforces, and, if all else fails...the UPS of the japanese war effort
I am not disagreeing with what you are saying but I am not writing "Submerged UPS Truck,version3:Christmas Packages"

We are using their doctrine as the guideline to write this, you will be attacking Task Forces. You will be assigned various mission, you will not stop the supply lines. You can sink merchants when and where you find them if you choose, you are the skipper. But if you are assigned a mission to "Sink Enemy Warships" and you sink merchants, your mission fails. You will get supply missions, too.
Keltos has a lot of facts on the subs, and I have been getting a lot of information by PM from various people recently Admiral Von Gerlach who has sent several, with a lot of info from research and people who were there. And help from Capn Scurvy gave up help with the medals. So there are several people helping with details to try to keep it historical as possible without making it so boring, no one will play it. This is not a complete list, but the ones who helped will be credited in the release and in this thread, upon release.
And the first version will be a Beta (maybe it should be an Alpha) and we will listen to the comments and suggestions and go from there. It may even require some major changes, but we will listen to what you like and don't like. We are trying to make a game you will enjoy playing without making it so realistic (boring) that you hit "Delete".
I didn't realize until doing this that there were several Japanese submarines at Pearl Harbor (I did know about the minisubs) but the subs apparently were not very effective since they didn't sink the Carrier that returned after the attack. But that doesn't mean you won't sink one.
So in the UPS role, it was real, but I am sure there were subs not delivering supplies that don't get talked about because the mission failed. History tends to talk about major wins, major battles, and major failures. Not about the everyday bordom of the ones that were not in the fight today, or the sub that fired ten torpedos and hit nothing. So that is the main reason we are not doing only supply missions. Who knows how many Japanese subs there were that never came back, so no one to tell the story. Who knows for sure how many torpedos were fired at US Carriers that nobody even knows about.
War was hell, some stories we know about, some we don't since nobody survived to tell us what happened.

Anyway that is the bacic ideas involved with the way this is being written.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote