View Single Post
Old 03-27-21, 01:49 PM   #12
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
I tried to keep my post simple and accurate but missed the mark, sorry.

I forgot to say once target range is @1500 yards or meters your position and target track are now set to give you a CPA (closest point of Approach) if target AOB is 25deg. Its at this range and won I slow/crawl and allow the target to draw across my line of sight.

Sorry for missing that crucial step.

Its my observation the US TDC has no limits for shooting. It also keeps tracking which greatly assists in refining the firing solution. The German simply generates a static gyro angle, which works but doesn't track the target like the TDC. Both have a fan club, to each his own ))
Ah, ok. Now this makes sense. Thanks!

Agree the US TDC is more capable - you just have to feed it a lot more data and a lot more often. For the US boats, a dick O'Kane method with a torpedo lead angle vs target speed table allows me to just ignore the tdc completely. Speed 0, aob 0, brg 0 and never mess with it at all. Whatever angle my approach, I look up in the table, rotate the scope to that lead angle for that target speed and torpedo speed and fire as various bits cross the wire.

For a u-boat, I find that two observations plotted at 3:15 apart at around 4-6000m away gives me more than enough info for a good solution in the TDC.
3catcircus is online   Reply With Quote