Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
I hope you have DirectX 9.0 installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthlucky View Post
I should, it's a brand new computer
The new computer will not have the proper DirectX v9.0c library files that SH3 needs. If your SH3 install has a choice for DirectX 9 and the Codecs, install them. They do not (cannot) overwrite anything newer in the DirectX on the computer, it just adds to it. If you have a Steam version, it should install the necessary files for you without prompting. You do still want to avoid the Windows Program Files folders, and you do still want to use the 4gig patch, but you might be getting that "Cannot initialize 3D engine" error because of no DirectX v9 files.

If you do have the proper DirectX v9 files, then you might have to set the "Properties" on your SH3.exe file by selecting it in the game folder, right-clicking and choosing "Properties" from the bottom of that context menu. Make certain the "Read-only" Attribute is cleared on that first "General" tab, and then go to the "Compatibility" tab and set the "Compatibility Mode" to at least Windows 7 (I had to set my laptop to Windows XP), but also set the "Run this program as administrator". On my laptop, I have to click the "Disable full screen optimizations" and also click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, and change the resulting Window under the "Program DPI" section to "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." and set that drop-down box to "I open the program", which might not be needed on your computer (display dependent), but you will almost definitely need to set "High DPI scaling override" section at the bottom to "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and the drop down box to "Application". No two computers seem to be alike, and your mileage may vary... experimentation might be needed.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote