View Single Post
Old 06-17-11, 01:16 PM   #2
danzeman
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I just ordered a new laptop yesterday to replace my aging XP unit. The computer won't be sent out for a week or so but I wanted to look around and see if it would be possible to run Silent Hunter II on the new Win 7 ultimate 64 bit OS I am installing on the laptop. I still have the CD that I purchased for the old laptop and can reinstall it on the new one but I was wondering if there may be a newer version or update to this as this is really a 16 bit DOS program. When I ran it on my older dell laptop with XP the program drained the battery faster then anything else I had on the hard drive. I was hoping to be able to run it on the Windows 7 laptop much cooler. Any Ideas on this??

The new laptop is using the Intel i7 2820 CPU with a seprate nVidia 54o GPU. the laptop has a switch on it to turn off the GPU and only use the internal low power one in the i7 CPU. Since Silent Hunter is not a high graphics game, this should help. I am wondering if there is a better way or lower CPU usage way to run the software like a DOS Emulator. It seems that the XP version used a DOSX type program or emulator now there is going to be an emulator in Win 7 64 bit to run the other DOSX emulator to run the software. I was hoping there was a way to skip that step and save on intense CPU activity to help with battery life.

Thanks
danzeman is offline   Reply With Quote